Friday, June 8, 2007

Warning-- Things May be Farther Away Than They Appear

Have you ever noticed when those weight loss ads say things like, "I lost 60 lbs using XYZ" and then in the teeny tiny print it says, "Results not typical"? What I want to know is, just what ARE the typical results, then, if these aren't? Did you also notice that the person in the After picture never really looks like the same person in the Before picture?

I have noticed that weight loss is big business (no pun intended!) and the ads prey on people who think that all they need to do is this one thing and poof-- instant After. Even with only 15 pounds to lose, I find it gets easy to get sucked into wanting to find a quick fix. What? You mean I have to really EXERCISE? I have to SWEAT? It's gonna HURT? I can't eat FATTENING FOOD? Are you serious?? The reality is, there is no fast, easy way to lose weight other than, maybe, liposuction. If I could only come up with a Chocolate and TV weight loss plan, I'd be a millionaire.

I suppose you get out of something what you put into it. But why is it that as soon as you commit to losing weight, things conspire to keep you from reaching your goal? The fat grams of the world have united and mock my efforts by making themselves even more appealing. I'm trying to ignore them, but it isn't easy.

Nonetheless, I've started tracking my points and try not to get discouraged when, after I type in my breakfast, I only have 12 points left for the day. I can see that the Weight Watcher's plan is balanced and provides a lot of motivation, but I have to do the work part myself. I'm finding that it is a daily challenge to eat healthier and to increase activity levels. There really is no easy way to do it, it just takes determination and constant vigilance. Oh, and will power. That really helps.

No comments: