Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I'll be a Millionaire as soon as the mail comes!

Catchy title, isn't it ;-)

Now that I'm a stay at home mom with all the kids in school, I get to have the TV tuned on the shows I want to watch during the day. This is what happened today.

So, I'm doing the dishes and watching this infomercial about how to make millions off the internet! It's so easy! Just send $39.95 to this guy who is probably a carnival worker and I can learn the secrets of making money so fast I won't know how to spend it! It worked for Billy Joe Bob who claimed he was taking a cruise while his website brought home the bacon. He made $432,000 in one week! Just three clicks, as easy as sending an email and my web business will be raking in the dough. With a forklift, apparently. Sound too good to be true? I thought so too. But those testimonials, they are so riveting, and almost believable. I was truly on the edge of my seat. In the end, I didn't order because I would rather just have a blog that's more altruistic but poor (just kidding!) But I totally believed everything they said (not!)

But then, when I thought it couldn't get any better, I watched another infomercial (Lucy, turn off the TV!) This was a P90X, which promises that in 90 days I will have seriously ripped abs without surgery! Of course, it only comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, but I bet all those people who bought a system overlooked that little fact. I was tempted but I resisted. If I had washboard abs and the perfect Hollywood body they promised, I would be the envy of all the soccer moms and be shunned from the inner circle of the coach purse acrylic nail tips club. I can't risk that.

Didn't P.T. Barnum say, "There's a sucker born every minute."

I will addend that with "and they're all watching infomercials believing every word you say."

I'm checking out that Arizona ocean front property time share development thing tomorrow. They say if I get in on the ground floor, that I could be the next Donald Trump. wow!

2 comments:

momto5minnies said...

My husband keeps telling me about the P90X infomercial. I think he "thinks" that I am really capable of looking like the folks they mention. Maybe that could happen, but man, that looks like hard work and I would hate to disappoint ;)

The other night I was watching (in the middle of the night)... Power Juicer by Jack LaLanne. Sometimes when the moment is just right you feel almost compelled to buy. Thankfully I didn't and went off to bed.

I don't watch a lot of daytime television at all. This here computer has taken it's place ;)

Lesley said...

I am so cynical, I love watching those commercials/infomercials and ranting back at the tv. It annoys my family though!