Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pie for Underachievers

Whoever came up with the saying, "Easy as pie" is either a culinary wizard or didn't realize that pies aren't that easy. It isn't so much the filling but trying to get the crust right that is difficult. I believe it may be a lost art (at least in my family!) I really should have paid more attention in the kitchen when my grandmother was baking pie. She made everything look easy. Ah, well-- "live and learn" that's what I always say. Because if you're not learning something new every single day? You're not living!! Today, I learned that pie isn't easy but there is a remedy to that. It's called cobbler. Now that's something that is easy!

I was shopping at my nearest warehouse store yesterday-- by the way, they already have the holiday baskets and trimmings out already, it isn't even Halloween! What is this world coming to anyway? I bought the yummiest looking Granny Smith apples and now that I have them home I'm wondering what I should do with them.

Caramel apples always look so good. I always wanted to make some. I'm thinking I might regret it, though with all the potential for sticky mess they have and all. I wonder if I could make some fake ones to go with my cupcakes? That would be perfect.

So then over I click to my all time favorite resource, All Recipes, where I find a recipe for apple cobbler. There are lots of other fall-inspired goodies to make, so if you have a minute, go over there and take a look. In the meantime, here is the cobbler recipe:

Apple Cranberry Cobbler


Submitted by: Regina StockRated: 5 out of 5 by 7 members
Prep Time: 25 MinutesCook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 55 MinutesYields: 8 servings
"'My family enjoys the sweetness of the apples as well as the tartness of the cranberries in this old-fashioned treat,' says Regina Stock of Topeka, Kansas. 'It's a great dessert to make during the peak of apple season.'"

INGREDIENTS:
5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart
apples
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup fresh or frozen
cranberries
3 tablespoons quick-cooking
tapioca
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter or
margarine
TOPPING:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter or
margarine
1/4 cup milk
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large saucepan, combine the apples, sugar, cranberries, tapioca, cinnamon and water. Let stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Cook and stir 3 minutes longer. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk to form a soft dough. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls over hot apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com
Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/23/2008

Doesn't that sound good?