Our Lord appears to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
Going to Mass on the first Friday of the month for nine consecutive months is a practice many Catholics participate in. They are known as the Nine First Fridays. This Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus began when Jesus appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, who was devoted to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, in December 1673. During the visitations, Jesus showed her His Sacred Heart in four visions. The flames that come forth from His Heart remind us of His burning love for us and His desire for us to love him in return. The crown of thorns reminds us of sacrifice to make up for sin. He told St. Margaret Mary Alcoque that He desired souls to make reparation for the many sins committed in the world daily against His Sacred Heart.
The devotion consists of going to Confession and attending Mass on the First Friday of nine consecutive months with the intention of making reparation to His Sacred Heart.
For those who spread this devotion, Jesus attached twelve promises.
The Twelve Promises Of Jesus
regarding Devotion to His Sacred Heart
1. "I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
2. "I will establish peace in their homes.
3. "I will comfort them in their afflictions.
4. "I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all in death.
5. "I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.
6. "Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
7. "Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
8. "Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
9. "I will bless every place where a picture of My Heart shall be set up and honored.
10. "I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. "Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
12. "I promise thee in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving the Sacraments; My Divine heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment."