Thursday, September 6, 2007

Oopsy Daisy!

Is it any coincidence that I stopped blogging after we got the new puppy? I think not. I have been so busy working on getting her trained that I have had no time to sit and think about posting. Well, I did think about it but never got much farther than that. A puppy is fun but a lot of work. She is doing well with her training, even though there have been a few mishaps. Training a dog isn't that much different from training children. Really. Actually after raising two boys, I think the dog is a little easier. The key is consistency and sticking to a schedule. Sounds easy on paper, but carrying it out is the tricky part.

I just have one thing to say to any parent who is thinking of getting their child a dog, with the expectation that same said child will take care of the dog, walk the dog, feed the dog, play with the dog, train the dog. It doesn't matter how much they beg, plead and promise in the beginning that they will do all this--- the cold, hard fact is that the novelty wears off fairly quickly and what you have left is all the work while the kids get the fun part. What I have to say is, don't do it unless you are prepared to do the work yourself, while threatening the kids that if they don't help you are getting rid of the dog (seems cruel, I know but that is what happened) The kids do help with her but realistically, it should have been clear to me from the beginning that I was taking on this extra duty.

There are just more things to do now in my day. Things like going to the paint store to buy paint (specially mixed for exact color paint) for the decorative trim the dog chewed off in hopes of concealing it from hubby who would go ballistic if he saw it; things like spending hundreds of dollars at "Pets R Us" on every kind of chew toy in hopes of keeping her from eating the house; things like running down the street at 8:30 a.m. in my pink pajamas while all the neighbors watch the show. Things like screaming the word "DAISY" over and over while she runs further away. She has this annoying thing she does, when I get close enough to grab her collar, she bolts. Things like caring for, feeding, training, pretty much EVERYTHING.

But I do love her. She's gonna be a great dog.

So, if you are wondering where I've been or what I've been doing since July 21st, wonder no more.

No comments: